<CT> Re: CGA, Herc

  • From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:00:04 -0500

I can confirm that Calmira works under CGA; I was able to install it on =
my
Prolinear 386 palmtop and it does look pretty cool in that updated =
retro
way.  (Incidentally, I am looking for a copy of the Prolinear Manual =
-if any
one on the list can help, please, please email me.)  Although I find
Calmira's screen update under CGA extremely slow.  I mentioned it on an
earlier posting with the subject something like: Calmira under minimum
requirements.  I have an original Win3.1 full CGA driver disk that =
installs
quite nicely when installing Windows3.1's display type. =20

Zapata was kind enough to forward to me a file for cga.  Here is =
excerpts
form our correspondence:

***********************

Well, how this thing works???? Merry Chrismas

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:13:43 EST

You wrote:

>Now, regarding the video questions...I've never ran Calmira on =
anything=3D
 other=3D20
>than at least "standard VGA", so I can't tell if she will work with
Hercules or=3D20
>CGA...but, it would be worth a try!  To do this, you need to open =
Windows
Setup...
>either from the shortcut in Calmira or, use Program Manager, Main, =
Setup. =3D
=3D20

This is not so easy as you are explaining.

>Choose your video driver from the list, then save and exit. =3D20

>Windows will prompt to "Restart", choose Yes, and see if it works. =
=3D20

If you don=3DB4t get the driver working at Windows 3.x start up you =
aren=3DB4t=3D
 able
to load Windows at all, so all yr good hints are useless. This =
isn=3DB4t=3D20
Win9x that loads "standard" video and lets you change it !

We are able to load OK Win 3.1 or Win 3.11 with a Herc. or CGA driver, =
but
Calmira exe file crashes system.=3D20

In the requiremts text file Calmira tells that you need 386 AND VGA.

Standard setup for Win 3.1 or 3.11 doesn=3DB4t load a Herc or CGA =
driver.

There are patches, but we found that it is better to load Win 3.0 and
check that all works OK, then you may upgrade to Win 3.1/3.11 or Win
for WorkGroups, in MS-DOS or DR-DOS and systems work OK...but if we
try with Calmira we get just crashes.

>Erwin might know more about the video aspect, but I don't remember
anything=3D
=3D20
>right off the top of my head that says Calmira has to=3D20
>have "VGA" or "SVGA" etc. =3D20

Jusr read the basics hints and there you find out that it clearly says
VGA...

>As mentioned, use Windows Setup to change your video driver. =3D20

If you are able to reach to Windows Setup this means that system is
working with CGA o Herc, and you might tune-up, if needed, but unless
you have some color CGA there would be no need to tune-up a monochrome.

Of course you may change video screen output in some DOS utilities, but
this is not done through Windows video drivers...=3D20

>Note, you might need your installation diskettes, because Setup =
will=3D20
>ask you to insert the appropriate diskette (I think it's disk # 7)...

if system has crashed you aren=3DB4t able to insert ...=3DBF?

and direct new setup with standard 3.1 up on a CGA or Herc also =
crashes,
you may load a patch from DOS, and most times it works...but I feel =
that
is better to go the "long way", because if you can=3DB4t load a Win 3.0 =
it
is better to start checking hardware.

All that you written may work to change a VGA driver from inside =
Windows
but you have to be able to load it first... isn=3DB4t so ?

>Last note:  Although it is possible to run Windows=3D20
>SETUP at the DOS commandline, I prefer changing video drivers from =
inside=3D
=3D20
>Windows.  If you run it from commandline, I think you would more =
than=3D
 likely=3D20
>have to have your installation disks on hand, plus, it's a little more
"cryptic"=3D20
>when ran from DOS as opposed to Windows. =3D20

It makes no diffference at all, as DOS Setup for Windows always tries =
to=3D
 load
Windows, and if patch isn=3DB4t already in, it will also crash...
=3D20
>If you need video drivers for CGA, Hercules or other, a good place =
to=3D
 search=3D20
>is www.winsite.com, browse through the Win3X files...they have (last I
checked)=3D20
>quite a number of older video drivers for monitors other than VGA.

We have no problems at all with video drivers, we always test video =
cards=3D
 and
choose one that works, mostly the standard included in Win 3.0 is OK, =
as you
won=3DB4t get better results changing Drivers, this is only done when =
we find=3D
 that
some DOS util aren=3DB4t doing well, all Win 3.x are DOS =
utils...ain=3DB4t it
so=3D
 ?

Thank you for your good luck wishes, will keep on trying, but I am =
quite=3D
 sure
that we aren=3DB4t alone in this issue.

We will be glad to receive any other hint, even "failures", whoi =
knows,=3D
 maybe
we will start reading sources...

Salu2,