<CT> Re: CALinux...

  • From: mwenechanga@xxxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:48:12 -0700

     I don't think a port of Calmira to
win98 would have to be 16bit, but if it
was it would still be faster and more
stable than explorer, so that's reason
enough.  Calmira is easier to configure,
as many people have commented.  At the
moment I'm happy running stilleto though,
thank you to whoever reminded me of that.
     A "dos version of linux" is not
quite what you think.  Admittedly,
many use the dos file system, but it's
been altered to suit linux.  basically
the only difference is that LILO is not
installed, but once you boot to linux
you're not running DOS in any form.
It's pure linux.
     I think perhaps win31 has reached
its limits for most of us.  I still
install it on 386/486 boxes for friends
but I don't have the motivation to play
with it anymore.
     After all, you can now get a 266mhz
network pc for $199 (ok $330 with monitor)
from thinkNIC.com so there's not much
point in running anything besides linux
is there?

-Changa