<CT> Re: Books wanted / Re: Graphics Cards

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:35:57 +0200

> Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:46:8 -0600
> From: Joshua Brannon <jbrannon@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: Books wanted

> >I am now officially searching for copies of the following books:
> >
> >1. Schulman, Andrew et al; Undocumented Windows
> >2. Pietrek, Matt; Windows Internals
> >
> >Anyone have a copy laying around? (especially the first one)

> I wish... *BUT* I found a few at Amazon.com!  Search for "Undocumented
> Windows" for #1, and "Windows Internals"
> for #2.

Erwin:

You may also want to ask in forsale and/or Win 3.1 newsgroups.

> Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:09:43 +0000
> From: Jason Bees <jason.bees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Graphics Cards

> I'm sure this thread has run before on CT but I couldn't find it in the
> archives. I'm looking to buy a new graphics card and I am choosing from an
> ATI Mach 64 or a Matrox Millenium II. I wondered if anyone has had any
> problems using either of these under Windows 3x, and which one you could
> recommend.

The Millennium II is much newer than the Mach64 - about 2 years, which
with graphics cards is a lot. Matrox cards have an excellent reputation
concerning the image quality, but apart from that I have no experience
with them. ATI's reputation concerning the drivers is not the best
nowadays - no clue if that also applies to their older products.

> Alternatively, are there any other graphics cards which work very well
> under Windows 3x? So far I have tried an S3 Virge DX and am currently using
> a Trident TGUI 9660 - the drivers for both of these are a bit unstable
> under Windows 3x.

Apart from the icon cache problem (the icon cache is not created
properly, a driver bug), my Virge/DX based ELSA Victory 3DX works rather
well (with the S3 driver). Other cards I have experience with:

ELSA WINNER 1000AVI VL (S3 868, 2 MB): The driver doesn't seem to like
the MOD4WIN MCI driver (GPFs), apart from that everything seems to work
well. (Haven't tested Netscape with large images, though - my system
used to freeze when using the ELSA drivers then.)

ELSA WINNER 2000AVI/3D (S3 Virge/VX, 2 or 4 MB): Apart from strange bars
around the cursor (which could obviously be fixed by an entry in the
elsa.ini file) the driver seems to work well. (Neither is the MOD4WIN
MCI driver installed on the system - no sound card -, nor are there
large JPEG images on it, so I couldn't test these problems.)

Don't ask me why these are all S3 based ELSA cards - I just happen to
come across them ;). The Victory 3DX was bought back in '97 for out old
computer, I got the WINNER 1000AVI VL for my 486 recently, and the
WINNER 2000AVI/3D is installed in a computer at school.

ATI Rage 128 GL: Runs absolutely stable - with the VGA driver, since
there are no Win 3.1x drivers for the card...

BTW: Is there *any* graphics card that has *really good* Win 3.1x
drivers?

Stephan
--
Stephan Großklaß (7bit: Grossklass)