<CT> Re: Are MPEGs "bad" for Win3.1?

  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:42:36 -0200

>   Under Win95, playing an MPEG (.mpg) video file is fine - more or
>less.*  But when I try to play an mpg file under Win3.1, it chokes
>unpredictably (whole system freezeup).  Is Win3.1 just not made to run
>this type of file?  Or is it that I require a faster computer for playing
>mpgs?  Anyone else have similar experiences?

Update some DLL's...
And install Win32S ;-))

You can run MPEG's 320x240/16M on a 486dx4-100 running WfW 3.11 + Win32s +
Xing-MPEG-Player with 12 Frames/second

>*keep in mind that my system is an IBM 586DX-100. Playing the mpg file in

It works fine !!!

>Win95, it skips a LOT of frames enough for a video clip to be just a

Win95 need 99% of the systemresources on a 586-100
Get a minimum of 166 MHz to get 12 Frames/secons

or 200 MHz for 18 Frames/second

>Picture Slideshow.  How does Win3.1 do besides what I said above?  It
>runs "better" as it shows every frame...  but in slow motion - much like
>when you play a tape on a VCR and hit the "Slow Advance" button.  A 30
>second mpg for example would last one minute or more if I play it in
>Win3.1 if the system doesn't gag on the file along the way.

>The mpg players I'm using:
>   For Win95: MS Media Player 6.1
>   For Win3.11: VMPEG 1.2a by Stephan Eckart (freeware)

Try to use the Xin-MPEG-Player

Michelle