<CT> Re: Are MPEGs "bad" for Win3.1?

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:45:25 +0100

Billy Wong wrote:

>    Under Win95, playing an MPEG (.mpg) video file is fine - more or
> less.*  But when I try to play an mpg file under Win3.1, it chokes
> unpredictably (whole system freezeup).  Is Win3.1 just not made to run
> this type of file?  Or is it that I require a faster computer for playing
> mpgs?  Anyone else have similar experiences?

Hi Billy,

Win 3.1 support MPG just fine, but it requires either a lot of CPU power
or some hardware assistance. You need at least a P100 and a video card
that support DCI (Display COntrol Interface) under win 3.1 (called
Direct-X support under win 95). DCI takes some of the load of the CPU
for decoding and also takes care of scaling to full screen.

There are several decoders to choose from: Mediametics (what MS Player
uses), Xing, and CompCore. I prefer the last one, as it has the best
performance on my P133 with DCI card; full screen hifi stereo(!), and is
also the most stable codec so far; it won't crash, even when feeding it
a corrupt MPG. When installing, it integrates into the standard media
player (WfW 1.1 required, as with all the above codecs).

> *keep in mind that my system is an IBM 586DX-100. Playing the mpg file in
> Win95, it skips a LOT of frames enough for a video clip to be just a
> Picture Slideshow.  How does Win3.1 do besides what I said above?  It
> runs "better" as it shows every frame...  but in slow motion - much like
> when you play a tape on a VCR and hit the "Slow Advance" button.  A 30
> second mpg for example would last one minute or more if I play it in
> Win3.1 if the system doesn't gag on the file along the way.

Have you looked for an option in VMPEG that says "skip frames if
behind"?

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter