<CT> Re: Are MPEGs "bad" for Win3.1?

  • From: Billy Wong <bhs1989@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:35:37 -0500

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:45:25 +0100 Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx> writes:
> Win 3.1 support MPG just fine, but it requires either a lot of CPU
> power or some hardware assistance.

   Or both.  And I wouldn't doubt this.

> Have you looked for an option in VMPEG that says "skip frames if
> behind"?

   It doesn't have much of any options other than Play, Stop, and Pause.
And those are on a pulldown menu.  Heck, VMPEG is free, so you can't be
choosy.

Alan G.> Pentium or previous?

   My computer again is a 586DX, which at least to people who knows my
system REALLY well - its a "low Pentium performer."  The processor on the
motherboard is a Cyrix.  Its definitely not a Pentium, and Win95 and DOS
says in its diagnostics that it is a 486DX.

Andrew Sprott> what you wan't is a mpeg decoder card. what mpegs are you
Andrew Sprott> playin? 1 or 2.

   I've been playing a variety of MPEGs, but mainly those made in the
past two years.  Perhaps older mpegs would work better.  As for a decoder
card, forget about it.  My computer is proprietary (an IBM Microchannel)
so any new hardware cards anybody on this list recommends to me would be
useless.

Michelle K.> Update some DLL's...  And install Win32S ;-))

   I already got Win32s installed...  But here's another unfortunate
part: The newer DLLs actually slows DOWN system's performance even MORE.
So don't think I didn't try this.  :-(  This is why under Win95 that I
can't run QuickTime 3 or greater, the newest versions of Netscape,
RealPlayer, and MS Media Player, etc...  Its sad, but true.

Benjamin> Dunno about WIn3.1 mpg viewers, but QuickView is a GREAT
Benjamin> multimedia file viewer (lots of sound formats, MP3, a LOT of
video
Benjamin> formats (MPG,AVI,MOV,etc.), as well as graphics).
Fraracci>       Another really good MPG player for DOS is Display. With
this
Fraracci>program you can play MPG, AVI and I believe QT.

Alan G.>Get the Xing Mpeg Player... I think the 'doze 3.11 version is
free now...

   I have practically tried every mpeg viewer available and each had its
share of problems on my PC.  Xing was the first I used and the first I
dumped.  :-(
   I haven't tried Display for DOS, but I will when I get the chance...

   Some of you responded that you have better video cards, and suggest
that I update mine.  Well sadly, my built-in video (Cirrus Logic 5434) is
pretty old and therefore slow.  There are no updated Win9x driver for my
chipset.  Even if there was, my video BIOS is outdated and would relegate
my graphics back to VGA (this info comes from another PS/2 user).  Your
video cards are head and shoulders better than mine, so I envy all of you
no matter how much you criticize about how your graphics performs on your
screen.  There is NO better video alternatives (ie video cards) than what
I got especially in the PS/2 family.

   With all these "strikes" against my workhorse PC scatterly described
above, I am already leaning - for a few months now - towards a new high
Pentium-class PC.  The IBM Pentium II and IIIs on eBay are within my
comfort zone in terms of price.  I'm not jumping on one right away, but
definitely sometime before the end of 2001...

   And also Happy Thanksgiving for those of us in the U.S. celebrating
this holiday!

   ___Billy Wong___
   BHS1989@xxxxxxxx
   http://www.geocities.com/billythekid1602445/index.html