<CT> OT: Win* stability

  • From: Paul Neubauer <vakko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:35:22 -0500 (EST)

My experience:

DOS - will run "forever"
Win3.x - can be run ~48 hours, with gentle treatment.
         Recommend daily cycling.
Win95 - CAN be run a full week.. just don't expect it.
        (I should note I do a LOT of 16bit DOS-box work
         with this, yet need 95 for the job, so take that
         into account.)
W2k - Hasn't crashed on me yet, have had 30+ runtimes, not
      longer due to my needing to change hardware, etc.
Linux - saw it "crash" a couple times..always due to
        hardware issues.

        The very pro-MS guy at work eyes lit up when I said
        my linux box crashed.  His expression changed when I
        told him why: The on-board regulator was smoking...

Opinion: If games aren't a big deal and stability is, and
         you need to deal with MS stuff, W2K looks like
         they finally got it right.  Still some dopey
         defaults, but they can be overridden.

More opionion: I STILL wouldn't use any MS product for
               server work.

--
Vakkotaur vakko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Paul Neubauer, N9IOG
Ned Flat: "Why are you acting like this?"