<CT> OT Opera

  • From: Tony <Tony.Yarwood@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 02:27:09 +0100

Hi guys

Saw this the other day, I know a lot of Calmira users love Opera :)

Best regards=20
Tony

If this looks like a familiar GPF/crash (Win 16 bit only!),
I may have found a solution. It has been bugging me for
several years now. Over that period of time I've tried all
sorts of things to modify the Win3.1x environment, hoping to
stave off this GPF. Nothing has ever helped...

I recently figured out how to duplicate the problem with a
local file. Much easier to test whether or not any change
helps. The following link leads to a good test, this file
will cause the aforementioned GPF. You can save the file and
then load it locally. No need to have images on or
javascript enabled. It crashes my machine after hitting F5
(reload) 14 times.

>http://archive.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/10/01/011001opfoster.xml

=46irst, let me say that I'm not an assembly programmer, just
dangerous around computers :)  What I did was compare the
suspected area in Versions 3.62, 3.61 and 3.60 to each
other. Versions 3.62 and 3.61 are identical in this area and
I suspect 3.61 suffers from the same GPF. However version
3.60 is subtly different. By changing two locations in 3.62
to match the values in 3.60's code it seems to have solved
the "General Protection Fault 0009:CF09" in 3.62. I've been
running with it for several weeks now with these changes and
it hasn't crashed yet. I've pushed it hard too, at sites
that would have crashed it previously. I suspect that there
may be a down side (changes affected something else), but I
haven't found any noticeable side-effects yet.

If anyone decides to give this a try, I would be curious to
know what your results are with a follow-up message.

Now for what you need to do...

This only applies to Opera "3.62.0.326 Win 16". Load Opera
and then check Help>About and make sure this is the exact
version you have. Another way to possible verify this, check
the size/time/date stamp:

OPERA.EXE  1739392   3-06-00   2:02:16pm

Make a back-up of Opera.exe if you are at all uncomfortable
hex-editing files. This is pretty straight forward though
and it should be just as easy to reverse the edits as it was
to make them.

=46ire up your hex editor and then do a "goto" address
0009b478 in Opera.exe. The value should be "hex 82"

You should get a display that looks something like this:
(note a fixed width font helps in displaying this)

Address  Hex Data -->
-------- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
0009B470 0226 0B07 7444 66A1 820C 8B16 840C 6626
These need to be changed     ^^        ^^

Make sure your editor is in the "overstrike" edit mode and
not in "insert". You can't be adding any extra bytes to the
file length. Now change the value at 0009b478 from "hex 82"
to "hex 84" and the value at 0009b47c from "hex 84" to "hex
86".

The above line should look like this when you are done:

Address  Hex Data -->
-------- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
0009B470 0226 0B07 7444 66A1 840C 8B16 860C 6626

So the changes again in summary:
(all values in hex format)

Address   From   To
--------  ----  ----
0009b478   82    84
0009b47C   84    86

Save your edits and then run Opera as usual.

If a lot of people find this of interest and it turns out to
be helpful, maybe a patched Opera.exe can be uploaded
somewhere. At this point in time I'm a bit reluctant to go
that far. I would really like to find out if this is a
helpful fix or not.

--=20
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI USA
Remove no.spam for email
Opera 3.62(final/build 326)16bit/486DX/Win3.1x