<CT> Netscape vs. Netscape?

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 05:30:07 -0400

Off topic, but I think the record needs straight-putting....

On Sun, 5 May 2002 14:13:15 EDT, GLENNRPH@xxxxxxx wrote:

> ...  Also, Netscape lost because of
> Netscape...they insisted on utilizing very proprietary "standards"
> that only worked in NS....

Microsoft also uses proprietary standards in its Internet Explorer.
If conformance to standards were the key to success, Opera would be
the dominant browser today.

Netscape and Microsoft both gave away their browser software, with
proprietary extensions to the standard, hoping to make money on the
corresponding server software. In the end, most of Netscape's
extensions were adopted in the next standard.

Microsoft won, not because it was more standard-conforming or had a
better product, but because it had more market clout as a result of
its monopoly position.

> Ultimately, AOL did more to cause the
> extinction of NS than MS...they bought it and then placed it almost
> off the stove top, not even on the back burner....

I think that's putting the cart before the horse. AOL bought Netscape
when Netscape, unable to compete with Microsoft, was up for sale, no
reasonable offer refused.

> ... It should be noted
> that there are other, similar crusades underway that are also not
> considered serious threat to MS's hold on desktop users....

I can't argue with that. Again, MS is immune to threat because it has
a hold on the market, not because its product is better than anyone
else's.

For example, look at Calmira. It started as a retrofit of a
proprietary de facto Microsoft "standard" to an older Microsoft
product, and is now creating its own proprietary extensions to that
standard. It's a great product, but it was never a threat to
Microsoft; realistically, it was never intended to be.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ