<CT> Long file names across Interlink/LapLink

  • From: William C Andrews <uncwilly@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 23:22:10 EST

I had a couple of Win95 machines connected via an Interlink
parallel port cable today at work.  The Direct Cable Connection
was a bit of a pain to set-up and failed frequently (about
every 3rd file).  So I figured that I would use Interlink
(I keep that on a floppy, along with the cable, in the case
with my laptop [PC-DOS 7 version, best yet]).  Xcopy didn't
handle the long file names right when I was tranferring files
(it choked on the long directory names too).  So I went in to
Win95 and used Explorer to do the copying.   On to my point...

A) Never, Never underestimate the power of a good old DOS command.

B) How would Calmira handle the long file names comming across
   from the Win9.5 machine?  Would it truncate, convert to *~1
   format, convert or truncate .and. use the description to
   keep the LFN info, or ???

C) What could be done to allow Calmira to take maximum advantage
   of the LFN?  Could Maxim's (?) CD code be modified to handle
   it?  I recall somebody refering to network LFN's.

--
William Andrews       Uncwilly@xxxxxxxx
Owner:    Interbot@xxxxxxxxxxx