<CT> FYI - more LFN info.

  • From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:25:32 -0400

For whatever it's worth, I am forwarding this link that has good =
description of how LFN works beginning with WinNT 3.5 which has the same =
algorithm as Win95.  It is interesting to know that DOS has a strict no =
of files limitation only associated with a root directory; I think it is =
512 entries.  This may be the reason why Win95's "Windows" sub-directory =
is more of an necessity than organizational (because a few long name =
files residing in the root directory would quickly reach the =
limitation.)  In this article, they explain how they use "hidden" folder =
entries to record the LFN that exceeds the 8.3 SFN.  The folders are =
"hidden" from DOS view because of attribute settings.

What I don't understand is how a file is linked to which folders and how =
they know it's order.  Also, I don't the purpose of Unicode and why it =
is used for LFNs.

It seems like LFNs are using conventional 8.3 filenaming procedures in =
an unconventional manner, and with that, I wonder if this can be managed =
in regular DOS.  Obviously if MS is able to show LFNs in a DOS session =
but not in regular DOS, it must be impossible, ...or is it?

http://www.ntfs.com/fat-filenames.htm