<CT> DOS networking...

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Calmira_Tips <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:00:26 -0600 (MDT)

ObDisclaimer: Networking makes my head hurt, so go easy. :)

I have a secondary computer, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (P166, 32m RAM)
running DOS 6.22 and WfWG 3.11, and it has a network card, a 3com
EtherLink III with the 3c509 chipset. It is hooked directly to my
main computer with a crossover cable.

I'm trying to get this &#*&^ thing networked to my main computer
running Linux so that I can transfer and share files. What I'd
prefer is a DOS-based network, so I can have a network up even if
Windows isn't running at the time.

I don't want Novell IPX/SPX/whatever, just a TCP/IP-based network
with IP numbers. I'm open on filesharing protocols, eg, NFS, SMB
(Samba), FTP, etc... Whatever works..

Internet access for this box is not a goal - I just want it to be
able to "talk" to the Linux box, and I do my Internet accessing from
the main computer.

Is there ANYTHING out there that supports a 3c509 card, that'll let
me set up a filesharing LAN simply and easily, without making my
brain smoke? Remember, half of this setup is a Linux box, so it has
to be platform-independant.

Thanks,
-=Brian=-
rm -rf /bin/laden