<CT> Calmira status

  • From: Erwin Dokter <e.dokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 22:22:10 +0200

Hi folks,

Status is: a bit slow...

I haven't had much time lately, mostly due to work, and then the flu hit
me. However, I'm getting back on track now.

First off is to fix a bug that has troubled manu users, and now myself
since I changed VGA cards; the corrupted start menu icons. It may bother
a lot more people then I first thought. However, I now believe the blame
can be rightfully pointed at Calmira.

The problem lies with the -w-i-d-e- bitmap Calmira uses to store the
icons (bmpcache.bmp). After some investigation and testing, I found that
most video drivers were never designed to handle bitmaps with large
dimensions. You may know, most bitmap manipulation functions are
delegated to the video driver, and each driver is unique, each with it's
own sets of rules, like how wide or big a bitmap can be.

In case of my S3 card, corruption starts when the bitmap is wider then
2720 pixels (170 icons), but again, this can be different for other
drivers.

After reading some usenet, the concensus out there is "anything
wider/higher then display width/height is is not guaranteed to work".

So... I have to redesign the bmpcache code, and that will be my top
priority. I will post a bug report, and hope to have it finished
shortly, along with the other features I want to implement.

There will also be features that i cannot implement, mostly due to
difficulty level. One of which is native Long Filename support. It is
too complicated to come up with a working solution.

But... there are other ways to implement it, using a DOS LFN driver. I
plan to implement LFN API support, so that Calmira can use LFN functions
provided by the DOS driver... or even by windows 95 itself, meaning that
under Windows 95 or NT, Calmira will be able to use LFN's.

As I stated earlier, 4.0 will be my last contribution. Apart from the
fact that I feel that Calmira is pretty much finnished, I think it's
userbase if finally thinning to a point that warrants no more updates.

I will keep you posted.

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:e.dokter@xxxxxxx