<CT> Calmira 3.11 beta 1 and Netscape

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:41:24 +0200

Hello fellow Calmirians,

today (err, yesterday ;) I set up the internet stuff in WfW 3.11 on my
486 (it now has a 2nd hard disk, so there's plenty of space - well, if
you consider 400 megs plenty...), Internet Exploder 3.02a (dialer!) and
Netscape Communicator 4.08, to be exact. After resolving an OLE issue
(Netscape would hang at startup, this turned out to be caused by a mix
of older and newer OLE 2.0 DLLs) Netscape worked fine. Then I downloaded
Calmira 3.1a and copied the updated exe from 3.11 beta 1 over it. Then I
launched Calmira - Netscape was still showing the download page - and
started browsing the start menu (Calmira configuration: right out of the
box). After a few submenus (I tend to hold the left mouse button pressed
to achieve an effect like the automatic menu popup in Win9x) Calmira
hung and I could only restart the computer with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Unfortunately I could reproduce the hangup :(. Then I unzipped the older
3.1a exe, and voilà, no more crashes with Netscape. Interestingly I had
already experienced hangups of that kind on my main machine (that was
one reason why I didn't upgrade to 3.11 beta 1).

System configuration:
i486DX/2-66 SLe
Shuttle HOT-409 rev.?? VL/ISA board
RAM: 20 MB
Quantum "365 MB" (C:) + Conner "420 MB" (D:) (in fact 350 and 408 MB)
Toshiba XM-5602B 8X ATAPI CD-ROM (primary slave)
Gfx card: ELSA WINNER 1000AVI VL (S3 868, 2 MB DRAM, S3 SDAC - 135 MHz
RAMDAC) with the latest drivers (v5.33), running in 1024x768x65536 @ 87
Hz
Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 sound card (the old card from my main
machine, which now has a SB32PnP)
3.5" and 5.25" floppies
Logitech 3-button mouse with "Microsoft or PS/2" driver

Well, that's about it. My main machine is also using a S3 based ELSA
card BTW, but here the generic S3 driver is used.

Any ideas anyone? (Erwin?) I mean, something *must* have changed in the
start menu handling that now causes these problems! In short: HEEELP!

Stephan
--
Stephan Großklaß (7bit: Grossklass)
eMail: mailto:jgrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx | Webmaster: http://www.i24.com/