<CT> [ADMIN] freelists.dhs.org is going away

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Calmira_Tips <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Juno_accmail <juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:04:08 -0600 (MDT)

No, we're not moving, and Freelists isn't shutting down.

Here's what's happening:

dhs.org is an Australian outfit that provides free dynamic DNS
services to users. Dynamic DNS is where you can have a host name
even when your IP address is constantly changing, such as dialup
users. I myself use DHS' services, as does John Madden.

When Freelists, our host first started, they used DHS for their
hostname, eg, freelists.dhs.org. Later, as Freelists became more
sucessful, freelists.org was registered.

Now, both me and John got an email from DHS saying that they aren't
making it, and that they are (basically) shaking down all users for
compulsory donations - eg, "pay up or be terminated". Well, doesn't
really sound like a donation, does it?

The shakedown letter can be read here:
http://www.dhs.org/support/compulsory.shtml

So, since the hostname freelists.dhs.org is pretty much a legacy
thing anyway, it will be absolutely "compulsory" to use the domain
name freelists.org after July 14th.

So, please update your addressbooks so that any entries pointing to
@freelists.dhs.org point to @freelists.org - This includes addresses
for the list and for the Ecartis-formerly-known-as-Listar.

-=Brian=-
rm -rf /bin/laden