<CT> A few questions from an amatuer

  • From: Peter Trevor <ptlivestock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:04:17 -1100

Hello all,

This being my first post I hope I dont tread on anyones toes. Im 53 year old
novice to Windows OS who cut my teeth in computing on an Amiga1200 5 years
ago. Having recently acquired an old PC, I am trying to upgrade it as I
have done with my Amiga. I am fascinated by the addons to 3.1 which are
available and to date how modernised I have been able get a 50 mhz 486 with
only 24mb ram.

What got me into PC's was the desire to network with my Amiga for file
transfer etc. Additionally I have tackled emulation of Windows on the Amiga
and vise-versa the emulation of Amiga in a Windows environment.

I have not been able to find a suitable 3.1 or MSDos comms terminal program
for use with a null modem cable other than Terminal (which has very limited
transfer rates and no Z modem), and the comms component in MSWorks3 (which
to me is rather clumsy to use), so Im wondering if anyone has any
suggestions. From the amiga side the are an infinite number of networking
pgms available with PC components however th PC side is usually rather
limited. I have used Hyperterminal off W95 and it works beautifully, but I
cant get it going on 3.1 with Win32.

I only became aware of Calmira a couple of weeks ago and immediately
installed it with much satisfaction however as yet I have not mastered it.
A couple of hiccups Ive noted which may well be my own doing are:

1 when adding, removing, renaming etc files/folders on both file manager and
calmira explorer the windows do not refresh to reflect the alterations made
and I have to close the window and reopen it to get the alterations
recogniseed.
2 At various stages when working on the desktop screen,the desktop icons
come to the front of the screen superimposed over any opened inactive
windows. Those windows come to the front when activated with the mouse.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards
--
Peter Trevor