[calibrebooks] The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall - 8345

  • From: "Elizabeth Lovick" <liz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calibrebooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:02:04 -0000

Hi all,

I have just finished this book, and it has been great fun!

It is basically a 'Golden Age' crime novel set in modern India.  The main
character is the detective who heads his own detective agency.  Being India,
he can afford to have quite a few side kicks, and these are also well drawn.

The writer obviously has a great knowledge of, and love for, India and its
people.  The reader did a brilliant job with all the accents, and the
dialogue is very well written  There is a sense of humour here, poking fun
at the sillinesses of society, while not glossing over the problems that the
endemic corruption brings, and what can happen to people who try to do
something about it.

I'm about to go and see whether Calibre has any others by the same author.

Liz

--
Elizabeth Lovick, Orkney, UK
http://northernlace.wordpress.com/