[cad-linux] Re: www.free-architecture.org

  • From: "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:24:49 +0300

Hi James (or Jim?)!

I am really bad in replying in time at the moment, too much work these
days even to read my mail.

Of course I cannot control a product that I cannot develop ;-) I have my
own interest that something useable is getting developed, and I started
to think how I, as a non-coder, could contribute something that might
accelerate development. And for the beginning, I found that some
platform to develop a concept of what is needed, how it should fit
together and into a bigger environment, and finally how to implement,
would be as useful as to give access to potential users. Actually, open
source means nothing to most architects, it is not only a lack of
"products", but also of understanding. Funny enough, many architects
seam to be far from recent technological developments. So having
something google'able, helpful right now for users, and the beginning of
developing work together, bundling potential users and developers, was
the intention of the software-part of the site.

There is another idea, about how to transfer open-source concepts to
architectural work, behind the project, as well. But that is an entire
different topic.

As it comes to wiki, I think that wikis are just one more underlying
system of community-based content management. The problem is that they
offer less pre-structuring, get hard to navigate sometimes and usually
are not made for anything like user rights management. Of course, all
the lack of structure in wikis can be their strength in some cases. As I
did not set up the website only for development coordination (see
above), I was concerned about keeping the site navigable, even for users
just stepping over it.

To make it clear, if someone says that a wiki is needed for this kind of
development work, I will set it up.

Than, for the current site, I am also very open for proposals how to
make it more community-like. E.g. it is silly if there is only one admin
able to approve content, new users etc. If anyone wants to contribute...?

Ah, if you have been her 40 years ago, it might be both astonishing and
some kind of shock if you saw this city today ;-) There are few more
dynamic places on world I guess, and dynamic is effective, both positive
and negative.

CU Lars.