[cad-linux] Re: www.free-architecture.org

  • From: Jim Bragonier <jamesb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:26:28 -0600

Joseph M. Gaffney wrote:
> On Sunday 20 August 2006 07:26, Lars O. Grobe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> ok, late reply, sorry...
>>

>>> Would also be great with a free wiki, so that the community can
>>> quickly add and change data.
>>>
>> I know, but the problem with an individual running a wiki is that I have
>> no clue who can make me responsible for things that (completely
>> anonymous) "users" would post there. All the legal problems, and spam,
>> and... require that wikis are maintained by a rather large group of
>> admins, checking them at least once a day. Also the information is
>> getting unstructured, and while great for dictionary-like uses, I am
>> targeting more like guides, drafts - collaborative writing, but more in
>> a chapter-like style.
>>

> Or require a registered user to make changes, along with other anti-spam
> methods, and it becomes alot more manageable.
I've been lurking, listening and watching, but also trying to see what
the strengths are of the people investing time and effort in the
free-architecture.org.  I have written some fairly pointed views about
how the process might work and received no response.
    Lars, it would appear that you, quite properly, don't want to
control the product that cooperative programmers/writers might come up
with, but you, also don't want to be responsible for the necessary
exchanges between participants that help build motivation to
participate.  That is, the wiki is necessary to block out a community
based plan of attach.  It allows collaboration on the "Program
development" around which a design effort can be structured.  Some sort
of informal interchange is necessary for people to "test the waters" and
see if they want to spend the time and effort on this project, or go to
another.
    It also appears that Joe Gaffney wants to assemble an architects
"tool box" of currently usable open-source tools.  These may very well
become modules in a working "free-architecture library" which is developed.
    It would seem that a library of existing tools is essential from the
beginning...  and may imply that we need a librarian, too, and a catalog
of mirrors from which the library tools can be downloaded.
    These may not be in a wiki, but a public wiki with controlled topic
(or without) and a private wiki with registered participants makes too
much sense to me.
    I don't want to waste my time where the correspondent does not
identify himself and what his commitments are to architecture and to
helping to develop the open-source tools.
    Oh, congratulations, again, for undertaking a difficult and,
probably, thankless task, Lars.
    James Bragonier, Architect and educator.  It's been 40 years since I
traveled to Istanbul.  You enliven wonderful memories.

You should also mention that gimp is not really usable for high depth