[cad-linux] Re: words, words. Lots of words

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:45:33 -0700

> I've been scrawling out my thoughts about this=20
> database/open-standard/format/cad-to-end-all-cads idea

One very bright (no pun intended) idea from the
Materials and Geometry Format developed for rendering
materials by Greg Ward is that it is a 'parsed' format.

An except from the description:
"This notion of extensibility is a cornerstone of the
format, and it goes well beyond the extensibility of
other languages because is guarantees that new versions
of the standard will not break existing programs, and
the new information will be used as much as possible.
Other languages either require that all translators
stay up to date with the latest standard, or allow
forward compatibility by simply ignoring new entities.
In MGF, if NURBS are added at some point and the
translator or loader does not handle them directly,
the new version of the parser will automatically
convert them to smoothed polygons without changing
a single line of the calling program. It is merely
necessary to link to the new library, and all the
new entities are supported."

http://radsite.lbl.gov/mgf/=20

Jeffrey