[cad-linux] Re: wildfire

  • From: Bob Mitchel <bobemitc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:39:28 -0700 (PDT)

I don't have experience with wildfire at all, just
with Pro/E 2001 on windows xp... so this may not be
entirely applicable.

One thing I remember especially, is that there *seem*
to be multiple ways of doing things (motion, for
example), however using one submenu would either do
nothing or cause crashes, while using another,
seemingly identical feature elsewhere would work the
way it was supposed to.

Also I didn't have much luck with the help... it was
hard to get results that really applied. (stuff for
Pro/HULL, Pro/NC, and Pro/MOLD *really* don't help
when I don't have them!)

Now these problems could be simply because the student
edition is lower quality or something, as that's what
I was using...

Unless the menu system is different (this was a
separate window with submenus added to the bottom)
then no, I didn't like it much either.

[plug]
On a side note, one CAD prog I really like is
SolidEdge.  It isn't quite on the level of Pro/E but
it is far, far better than AutoCAD.  They really put a
huge amount of time into the user interface... much
better than that in pro/e 2001.  But I don't think
they have a *nix version out.  And I don't think it is
scriptable.  Sorry Eric!

BTW last version of SE I used was v8, that was in
2000.  If you wanna see just how easy to use it is, go
to the site, then click online demos, then on one of
the vids, say the "Creating Parts ..." one.  I can't
accurately move the mouse quite that fast, other than
that you'd be able to do that stuff that fast. :)
[end plug]

Bob

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com