[cad-linux] Re: virus amung us

  • From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 02 Sep 2003 19:50:21 +0100

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 18:05, Rui Homem wrote:
> while im cheking my mail box today i found that i have recived a lot of
> mail telling me that a bunch of mails sent from my email have virus. The
> true is that i didn't sent those emails and i don't know the destination
> people. i have already changed mi passwords but the problem remains tha
> same. I'm runing a Red Hat linux 9 box using evolution as my mail
> client, so i dont think the problem is only for ms users, or maybe my
> mail server have been infected to. i'll try to solve the problem as fast
> as i can. Every help is well come.

They are pretending to be from you

Another computer is infected, it searches the computer/net for other
email addresses and puts them in the outgoing mails "From field"

Hence viruses are being sent to people as being "From" you.

They then hit a mail server which has been configured by a moron. It
virus scans the mail and correctly identifies SobigF as the attachment
and promptly sends it back to the "From" address, which is you.

If you're fed up, send an email to the sysadmin of the mail server
asking if you can apply for his job, since the position is obviously
vacant.

Guy