[cad-linux] Re: simple yet powerful 3d cad for newbie

  • From: keith frost <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

brl-cad and Ayam3d(brmt) both make use of procedural
shaders.  modeling the geometry is the easy part.  the
shaders can be a little intimidating.  if you really
want to get into it(rendering) i would recommend
buying a copy of the Renderman Companion.  execellent
book.  if you just need the min to get your project i
can send you some samples of ayam3d stuff to see how
it was done or point you to some tutorials.

let me know if i can help.

> I gave a look at Ayam3d and it seems a bit simple.
> I'm leery of climbing
> the learning hill and finding out the view is not so
> high.
>
> Moonlight Atelier looks very slick, but it covers my
> taskbar, needs to
> be forced to repaint when I return to it and it's
> discontinued. Yet
> still kept alive by it's devoted fans. It does look
> pretty good though
> and I'll try some of the tutorials.
>
> BRL-cad is intriguing even though there is so little
> information about
> it. But the idea of the US government giving me
> something for free is
> very appealing. I should just fax them their form
> and try it out for
> myself.
>
> Thanks for the tips!

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://autos.yahoo.com