[cad-linux] Re: simple yet powerful 3d cad for newbie

  • From: Maurizio Ferrari <mferrari@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:38:35 +0200

Honest to Goodness wrote:

> I am renovating the house in the fall and need to work out some designs
> using a 3d modeler. I run Mandrake 8.1 and would like to find a free
> program that I can get up and running without a steep learning curve.
> Brl-cad looks interesting but I can't find any screenshots. Blender is
> overpowered for my use and tends to disappear as soon as I do anything
> worthwhile. I installed kpovmodeler but it has little documentation and
> doesn't seem to have sweep and extrude which I would use a lot for
> planning the framing.
>
> So, anyone got any recommendations for an easy to learn, reliable and
> well featured 3d modeler for architectural designs?
>
> Thanks for any help!

I am not aware of free packages for architectural design under linux.
However, I think that kpovmodeler and Blender are not well suited for
architectural design, unless very simple ones, being more geared towards
animation (blender) or raytracing (kpov). Am I correct?

For architecture there are a couple of commercial offerings from
Germany.

Regards
Maurizio
--
Galileo Engineering
Via Zacchetti 6

Slot.it is a trademark of Galileo Engineering