[cad-linux] Re: reply from TomCAD owner

  • From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 19 Jan 2003 19:28:44 +0000

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 19:03, marrandy wrote:

> On Sunday 19 January 2003 01:45 pm, you wrote:
> > If you're intending on emailing the information to the author, it'll
> > help to include a little bit of background information like:
[snip]

> In this case, no. I'm not.
> It just shows the current state of the products.
> Plus why there should be a concentration on Two, at the most.
> I need something I can use efficiently and effectively.  Otherwise, I might
> as
> well get a decent windows offering.

Notice that the TomCAD bloke, despite having no email access, was still
working on his project, I could be wrong but I'd call that dedication.
I'm sure he'd love some feedback (even if it's an error report)

Someone was asking earlier about how they could help projects even
though they couldn't code. For a bit of practice why not download some
of the TomCAD packages and report any errors you (people in general) get
back to the author. As you've already seen, the worst you'll get back is
an email back saying
"sorry it's been a while, I've been busy, thanks for the feedback" etc
which is pretty normal of most free projects.

It might seem not very important, but you'll get a feel from talking to
them of what kind of information/feedback the developer needs. For
instance, if it's not a packaged project (not RPM etc), and the install
is difficult, keep asking questions when the install fails at each
stage, until it eventually installs, then copy and paste from all the
emails you had to ask and suddenly the developer has got an install
guide, all thanks to you. Things like that could be really useful.

Guy