[cad-linux] Re: qcad article

  • From: keith frost <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:16:58 -0800 (PST)

> I moved to Linux last August because a new employer
> sent me a computer
> (hardware and a box) and NO software. So I went
> Linux 'cuz it was free. But
> my migration from a Windoze user is still far from
> complete - I need to bring
> a friend over about once a month and it seems to
> take hours to do even simple
> things.

it's not free(except for the working demo) but varicad
always did a smooth install for me.

> Of all the stuff out there on SourceForge / rpmfind
> / freshmeat, Q-CAD was
> only one of two programs I procured which actually
> installed (on Mandrake
> 8.0)

mandrake does a wonderful job on the install.  this is
where most people have their trouble.  afterwards if
you want to install something new you go into
dependencey hell.  I've been on linux since 95 and
have been bouncing around different rpm based dist's
ever since.  recent mandrakes have forced me to go
over to debian/apt-get.  the install was a little
rough because i did not know my way around the debian
packages, but i have no regrets

> without interminable lib glitches and other
> insurmountable showstoppers
> (to me.) I'm just a download-it,
> double-click-to-install, press "OK," watch
> the install bar fill from left to right, close, and
> double-click-to-run kind
> of guy. My job is a mechanical engineer,

i think everyone likes a clean install when you can
get it.
as for myself i'm a Catia driver by day on AIX(unix)

> and I don't have much time to detour
> into a whole 'nother field of technical expertise
> without my own job output
> faltering.
>
> Q-CAD has a weird way of saving DXF files - it can
> read in most (but not all)
> data from many AutoCAD 2000 and R14 drawings, but
> the 'DXF' files it
> generates can NOT be readily opened by AutoCAD or
> even SolidWorks.

like many formats DXF has been a moving target.  i
think qcad is using R12 dxf.  i have a number of
applications that i use that do not have any problems
reading them. Intellicad(with wine) lists them all
seperately dwg 2.5 thru 2000 and the same for dxf.

autodesk has for the longest time only supported
"previous" version formats.  this is true of dxf as
well as dwg.  try doing a save as R10.  it's not
there.
:-(

> Does anybody know if there's a version later than
> 1.4.6, released 24-Feb-2001?

I think most of the development effort is going into
QcadII.  It's still 2D dxf but will be more
programmable, from my understanding.  although it
shows as having no code on sourceforge if you dig thru
the links there is a tarball.  for actual work i would
recommed sticking with the standard download from
www.qcad.org.

> GLL

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux/

http://greetings.yahoo.com