[cad-linux] openDWG toolkit perl wrapper: GPL?

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 17:18:00 -0500

I've gotten the go-ahead to open-source our SWIG-based Perl module which wraps
the openDWG toolkit, allowing access to dxf and dwg files from Perl.  At this
point, we are trying to decide how to handle it.

I think the licensing should be GPL, but LGPL might also be appropriate here
(except how do you close-source Perl code? (I know it is possible, but it
isn't really common.))

Right now, it needs some work, which is why we are open-sourcing it.  It is
functional, but I am no C programmer, so it is a hack in a few places.  It
currently supports read and write of most 2D geometry, but because of the
complexity of the data structures (and the verbosity of C), it has been
created as a higher-level interface to the toolkit.

I'd appreciate hearing any opinions and level of interest from anyone that
might want to be involved.

Thanks,
Eric Wilhelm