[cad-linux] Re: open vs closed

  • From: Thomas Schmidt <thomas.schmidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:51:11 +0100

Okay, now being officially a prick :-) , let me say that I have nothing
against the GPL. Its a fine idea. But it just seems to me that every
software, especially when running on Linux, HAS to GPL'ed.
@Eric:
You mentioned some very good points. Software should help you realize your
ideas. And this would be much easier, if the used software could somehow
communicate with each other. But I doubt that the GPL would enable such a
communication. Communication capabilities must be implemented inside the
software. This is not a licence issue. A free licencing model must not
nessessarlily result in absolutly compatible software. This needs somebody
saying: "Hey, I write a new EFM module (or whatever). But let it integrate
perfectly well into the top ten CAD systems.". This integration does not
automatically happens then using the GPL. (You cannot embed a Gnome part into
Konqurer, the Gnome Vfs is not at all compatible with KDE's IO Slaves...).

"If at first the idea is not absurd,  then there is no hope for it"
- Albert Einstein