[cad-linux] Re: from linuxtoday, QCad 2.0.3.3

  • From: acrux <acrux_it@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:24:15 +0200

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:16:59 +0200
Andrew Mustun <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
_omissis__
> > i think that qcad 2.x is really a very good 2d cad but there isn't
> > yet a support for the opendwg libraries :(
>
> The problem with opendwg is that they require some
> kind of membership.
> (see http://www.opendesign.com/membership/join.htm)
>
> Currently, this is not an option for QCad.

hi Andrew,
it could be great to add the opendwg as option.
I'm a student in civil eng. (here in Naples, Italy) and i've got
without problems an"Associate Membership" (that's free) with
OpenDesignAlliance. Obviously using those libraries after the source's
compilation the binaries aren't GPL but this kind of membership has a
good number of benefits and at last it's not so restrictive.

Maybe You could plane to add in Qcad a support like there is in GRASS
(but with the last opendwg libraries ;) ).
In GRASS-5.7 you are able to compile adding
 --with-opendwg --with-opendwg-includes= --with-opendwg-libs=
and during the compilation there is a warning:
------------------------------------   WARNING
----------------------------------- v.in.dwg is linked to proprietary
library 'OpenDWG toolkit' (www.opendwg.org) and to GRASS libraries
released under GPL. As a consequence, it is not allowed to distribute
binary version of v.in.dwg. If you really want to build the binaries for
v.in.dwg and lose the possibility of distributing GRASS binary package,
type 'yes'<Enter>.

i think that a Qcad with those features would be fantastic!

greetz,
Acrux
--
vesuvio | LinuxMachine 156116