[cad-linux] Re: expectations

  • From: "John W. Ross" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:17:01 -0800

Well expectations... First my background.  I'm a long time MS user, and not
unsatisfied with their software, but now totally unsatisfied with their
privacy invasion and business practices.  I have tried various incarnations
of Linux for the last 4 years, and found it not ready for prime time.  With
Mandrake 8, I feel that Linux is now a reasonable desktop OS, even a great
desktop OS.  But for desktop applications it is a nightmare, less that 30%
of the software I want to use has an available Linux alternative.

I might add that I'm also a ERP consultant and coder and spend 8 to 16 hours
of each day involved in serious computer work.

Now, expectations from this group.  CAD is part of my common computer uses
because I relax by working with my hands, woodworking, and I use CAD
software in my design process.  CAD is definitely a place where Linux is
seriously lacking.  Odd that a system so well designed for a workstation
would be lacking software in such a common workstation application.  I've
been even less enthused after seeing that at least half of the messages here
regard people trying to get Windows emulators working so they can run
Windows CAD programs.  I would never add an extra layer of distraction to
any computer work.

My expectation?  That if there is eventually a Linux CAD app that is
reasonable that I will see it here first and be able to put that on my Linux
machine and get closer to leaving the MS world.

It is hard to watch Linux groups in general because they seem to be more
involved in a social politic than on a working system.  While I love open
software I do not need or particularly want free software.  I feel that
those who do the work should be paid.  Unfortunately it seems that people
feel it is blasphemous to create a commercial app for Linux and therefore
companies shy away from writing for Linux.  Hence the wasteland.  I hope
this will change soon.

Well that is both my expectation or hope, not only regarding this list but
also regarding Linux in general.

Thanks,
John