[cad-linux] Re: executable data

  • From: Bob Mitchel <bobemitc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

There's been some discussion of having text-only files
in the data tree... I'm not entirely sure I agree with
this.  I think it would be bad to have executables
*without* their source code, but keeping the
executables around isn't a bad idea.  For example,
what if the parameteric model is complex and requires
a great deal of code to create?  If the source is
compiled every time the model is created, and the
model is used many times in the drawing, then we'll
have to wait and wait while the code is compiled time
and time again!

Keeping the executable within the data tree could
cause problems with cross-platform development, unless
each version was named uniquely and compiled
automatically if unavailable...

say we have door.c
-- Someone needs to use it on linux, so their computer
executes a generic script, say 'makeobject'...
makeobject finds door.c, but not door.x86linux (an
executable), so it causes door.x86linux to be built.
-- solaris x86: door.x86solaris
-- linux on an opteron: door.o64linux
-- and so on, labelling each executable concisely
enough that there is no ambiguity... i.e. may need to
include the libc version, and possibly other info, in
the name: door.glibc2.x86linux

I believe CVS can be set up to ignore certain files,
or perhaps we should do the equivalent of 'make clean'
before committing to cvs? We could have a script set
up to find binary executables and delete them.

Just my $.02
Bob

--- Massimiliano Mirra <mmirra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>