[cad-linux] Re: dxf/dwg

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:34:43 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Eric Wilhelm
> on Saturday 31 May 2003 01:59 pm:

>Implementing
>shadow-classes would likely help this, but I'm trying to keep the module's
>functions at a higher level than the toolkit.

The way I have been handling the access with the module would likely change.
I am planning to change to the object->method() based setup.  Loading a file
is currently quite a pain for the main program, since it has to determine the
entity type and then decide what to do with it.  I'm currently using about
160 lines in the main program to load the data structure (there isn't any
support for seek in the helper functions) and I think this could be done in
the module.

If anyone is interested in working on this with me, it is going to be
open-sourced within the next few weeks.  I've contacted the openDWG
consortium and they said they would be happy to post it on their site,
provided that I preserve their licensing with mine.

I will be writing a custom license based on the Artistic License (the license
for distribution for Perl), which will explicitly spell-out the requirements
for code disclosure (of the swig interface and helper functions) and will
clearly state the division of licensing between the library and the wrapper
(user will be responsible for obtaining an openDWG toolkit and using it under
the terms of its license.)

--Eric