[cad-linux] Re: dxf/dwg

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 13:59:31 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Thomas Schmidt
> on Saturday 31 May 2003 11:44 am:

>how did you created the wrapper? swig? handmade?
SWIG.  It is a set of helper functions and an interface file.  Currently, it
supports only a select set of 2D elements because of the way the data
structures have to be translated into perl objects.  Implementing
shadow-classes would likely help this, but I'm trying to keep the module's
functions at a higher level than the toolkit (you loose some control, but
don't need 30 lines of code to draw a line.)

>opendwg is some kind of reverse engineered dwg, isn't it?
It is the dwg format reverse-engineered.  There are some issues with acad
changing to the encrypted dwg format, but I'm thinking the upshot of this is
that nobody will buy 2004 (I know we aren't planning it any time in the next
decade)

>there has been a post some days ago about autodesk releasing
>the dwk toolkit under a "do what you like" licence. any plans
>to create wrapper for this toolkit?
I think that was dwf.  If not, I'm not sure what it is.  If it is dwf, dwf is
really pretty useless when you consider that pdf is already available to
almost everyone.  Sure, dwf supports a few more features, but the viewer is
not so easy to get, and it really isn't worth it IMNSHO.

I have no plans to personally create another wrapper for anything.  If other
libraries come along (I think the next thing I consider might be
open-cascade) that would be useful to our programming, then I might look at a
wrapper for them (likely will hire it out to a "real" C programmer, since the
frustration with making the openDWG wrapper has been more than I expected (I
love Perl because memory and other overhead is automatically handled, so this
spoils me when I try to write C and I get really frustrated with all of the
tedium.))

In short, I won't be creating anything that isn't going to be useful to my
programming, but I'm not sure yet what will be useful in the future.

More to come on the dwg toolkit wrapper and other issues as time allows.
(polygon offset algorithm is being released as open-source right now as well:)

--Eric