[cad-linux] Re: database application scenarios

  • From: Lee Fickenscher <elfick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:49:49 -0400

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 11:47:41AM -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> >A project management module is an awesome idea, and definately a must
> >have... Making it extensible to include files that relate to a project,
> >but aren't specifically drawings, such as legal papers and what not,
> >would be a real attention getter.
>
> Should this be included in the database or could a more suitable, existing
> format be utilized?  The ideas which I mentioned before about using a tarball
> to store standard file formats together were driven by exactly this same
> need.  Would it be better to just store the legal papers as xml or some other
> more text-oriented format?  Maybe they are stored in this format in the
> database (instead of in a tarball?)

I think how you envision your schema/data_dictionary will affect whether
or not not drawing information should be included in the database or
not. For instance, do you envision one database with all the tables for
all the projects, or a master database whose objects are inherted by new
project databases, thus having one database per project (plus the
master).

If you see it as one database will all the projects, I'd say put non-cad
information in its own databse just to keep the database as clean as
possible.

If you see it as one database for each project, then the non-cad
information should be put in that projects database in order to
encapsulate as much as possible.

> I think this may also be an application of the VFS (or temp file or
> whatever),
> since you wouldn't really expect a word-processor to be built against the
> database access library.

Hmm, did we already discuss non-cad apps using the library? I thought we
had said that it would be best if they used it, but I could be
mistaken... The freelist hiccup has thrown off my train of thought a
bit.

-Lee