[cad-linux] Re: cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...]

  • From: Anastasios Hatzis <anh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:24:56 +0100

We are a contract manufacturer specialized on stainless steel components.
Unfortunately, we need to use the CAD software that is used by our customers,
in order to exchange more than flat data, to which our CAD users refer "as
full feature files." 2D drawings are often needed, but in most cases not
enough, so 3D comes into play. Furthermore, there is CAM software supplied or
supported by the machine vendors. And all of that stuff is running on Windows
only. Some machine vendors even replaced their native controllers with
Windows boxes, WTH?

I wouldn't count on the big guys in the market. Obviously, most of them sold
their dried plum souls to the Greedy Kraken of Redmond, hence the many MS
runtime stuff that is required to run those apps. I doubt that the CAD/CAM
vendors will be able, or even are willing enough, to move their software to
Operating System independence within the next five or ten years. Not to
mention the proprietary file formats, dongles, and so on.

In the recent two years, I heard from an increasing number of customers, that
they got very unsatisfied with the vendor lock-in situation today. And no-one
mentioned to have any problem with paying in the one or other way for getting
benefit of a software. But this market got totally out of fair balance.

I hope we will be able to escape this situation within few years. Maybe this
mailing-list will be part of the solution :-)

Best regards,
Anastasios