[cad-linux] Re: cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...

  • From: Yorik van Havre <yorik@xxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:57:20 -0300

2009/7/22 Lars O. Grobe wrote:

> DWG is the result of the fact that Autodesk does not want to use an
> open, royalty free standard for their products.

 I agree totally... Just by looking at how the file is constructed, and how
it changes from version to version, it seems quite obvious that someone made
it complicated on purpose. I also think that no current project will be able
to do a very good job at reading dwg files. The only reference document
available (by openDWG) is pretty incomplete, probably exactly for the same
reason (they also sell their DWG library). DWG format is so complicated that
is seems to me actually a very bad format to work in, especially compared to
some cool, flexible, nicely documented new formats available, such as step,
svg or other xml-based things.

But I also think it is a major issue that prevents people from even looking
at open-source solutions. If you could read even older-version dwg files,
even a couple of basic things, I hope it could become like an escape door
out of the Autodesk jail...

Yorik