[cad-linux] Re: cad-linux still alive [if only on life-support...

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:31:17 -0700

# from Yorik van Havre
# on Friday 17 July 2009:

>[3] http://code.google.com/p/libredwg/

I'm glad to see some activity here (recent activity even) and look
forward to integrating this into VectorSection.

Unfortunately, there seems to be very little interest in donating toward
adding .dwg support to VectorSection.  Linux Fund has been trying to
raise donations for almost a year now and still hasn't reached a point
where I would be able to focus on VectorSection work for any
significant amount of time.

Perhaps the commercial software vendors have conditioned users to only
pay for finished/packaged products?  It would be nice to have more
commercial CAD options on Linux, but I'm not convinced that they would
progress as quickly as open-source tools with many commercial interests
driving them.

--Eric
--
  http://vectorsection.org