[cad-linux] Re: binary of lx viewer

  • From: AJBIBB@xxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 21:25:54 EDT

Keith and David,

I hope Keith is right in stating that MS will just turn people off by this
strategy, but I am not so sure.  I got stuck with XP when my family's W98
machine bit the dust 36 months and 2 weeks after I bought it with a 36 month
warranty.  I needed a box (quickly) which meant retail, and you cannot buy a
machine retail without XP already loaded - I tried and no dice.  Kind of
annoying because I now have a valid W98 license and no machine to run it on.
 I paid $399 for a one point something or other gigahertz celron box and I
figure 25% of the price was for the operating system which I did not want.
It is just like throwing money down the drain, but you know what, once you
are forced to spend the money you then don't pull the operating system off to
load another one.

David also has a point in that it seems like XP is designed mainly to run MS
applications.  I have not had the experience of unloading previously
installed drivers, but the two primary non-MS applications in this machine
cough a whole lot more that the native MS applications do.  I also agree that
you can't (don't) want to mess with any settings.  I might fiddle with the
registry in W98, but I would not touch it on this computer.

I know, I could stop being so cheap and get an Internet connection that is
not AOL and then connect using my LINUX box, but computers are supposed to
make your life easier, not cost you more money because the dominant company
decides not to interface with anyone else.

This topic was actually started by accident.  I thought I was responding to
an off-list E-mail from Keith,  I guess I need to read the headers more
carefully.  I believe this discussion is not as off topic as it might seem.
If the MS marketing succeeds, and since you pretty much have to buy a
computer with XP installed how can it fail, the inability of XP to
communicate with other OS's is not good news for LINUX.

Andy