[cad-linux] Re: Viewport

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:10:31 -0700 (PDT)

i had forgoten about renderman.
oh the shame. :-(
but on that note there are a number of opensource renderman compilent pacakges.
aqsis(pronounced "axis") is one of the more popular.
http://www.aqsis.com/
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~okan/Pixie/pixie.htm
and others.
http://www.renderman.org is the first stop reference.  a good book is
"renderman companion" if you want to get into the details.  another is
"renderman, beyond the companion".  as Thomas said these are geared more for
the movie industry, but a lot is applicable for cad as well.  coin seems to
use/copy some of the same ideas in how it organizes and translates geometry.

an example of a modeler that uses aqsis(and bmrt(rip)) is aym3d
(http://www.ayam3d.org), but it does not use the renderman renderer to display
in work images, it uses togl.  also, it does not use rib(renderman interface
bitstream) as it default format.  it uses it's own ascii format.

--- Thomas Schmidt <thomas.schmidt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Most toolkits displaying graphical data work in-process. This includes
> X11, Coin, Hoops, and all those OGL widgets. If you really want to
> have a renderer implemented in a different process than you CAD engine,
> you might want to look at the RenderMan specs/implementations/driver.
> But keep in mind that RenderMan was designed to make movies, not to displ=
> ay CAD data.
>
> > I'm writing a tiny modular CAD.  Since I'm not particularly fond of
> > GUI programming and I'd like to concentrate on the engine, I'm looking
> > for a simple viewport program that reads bi- or tri- dimensional data
> > from the standard input and displays it.  Handling of image aspect
> > must absolutely make sense for a CAD program (i.e. no squares 10 units
> > wide and 2 units high ;-) as is common in dataplotting).  `Naming' of
> > drawing entities and selective update would be a plus, but not
> > strictly necessary.
> >
> > I tried `graph' from the GNU plotutils and I stumbled on the 10x2
> > square problem.  I whipped a little interface with Ruby and Tk and,
> > well, my above mentioned fondness for GUIs showed all its
> > consequences. :-) Do you know of anything that resembles this
> > description?  (Of course, if you happen to know your way among
> > widgets, have a spare hour, and some curiosity for an experimental
> > project, you're very welcome, too. :-))

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://sbc.yahoo.com