[cad-linux] Re: Varicad/debian howto

  • From: "Tomas" <tomas2@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:56:23 +0200

On Wednesday, March 06, 2002 "Nuno Miguel Fernandes Sucena Almeida" wrote:

> Even more simpler and you don't have to make all the mkdir/cp operations:
>
> ~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libqt-gl.so.2 varicad
>
> *** (R) VariCAD - graphic system release 8.1-0.0
> *** (C) VariCAD
> (...)
>
> You could make a script like:
> #!/bin/sh
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libqt-gl.so.2
> export LD_PRELOAD
> /usr/bin/varicad
>
> Cheers,
> Nuno Sucena

Ok, I'll have to try this when I get a chance to get to my Debian Sid
"puter", (I'm at work now, and chained to this NT / AutoCAD system :(
I have two Debian servers here that I can reach by ssh, but I'm running
Potato on them, and without X, so I can't test VariCAD on them...)

Do you also have an axplanation to why the SuSE VariCAD version works,
but the Red Hat version crashes as soon as I try to open or save a
file? Ok, not a big deal, I know that the SuSE version works and the
Red Hat doesn't, but it would be interesting to know why also. :)

One thing that really bugs me, is that you need to be root to test this
program:
If I start the program as a normal user, I get a dialog box saying:
"Only 'root' can activate license" with a push button saying:
"Terminate VariCAD"
If I start it as root, then the dialog box have also some other options,
among others, "Continue".
So I understand (even if I don't like it) that I need to be root to activate
the license, but shuldn't that "Continue" option be included in the dialog
box for the normal users also, so one dosn't need to be root every time one
want to run the test version of VariCAD?
The older programs test version where the save function was disabled was
better IMHO.

Tomas Nykung