[cad-linux] Re: TomCAD

  • From: "Thomas Schmidt" <thomas.schmidt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:08:11 +0100

Hi,

No problem, I appreciate every feedback, no matter what kind of. I would
have answered your questions earlier,
but I have been abroad, without access to my email.

My plans for TomCAD are quite simple. I strive for the best. :-)  Ok,
seriously.  My interest in CAD goes
back all the way to college time. The TomCAD you now see on
www.tomcad.org is not my first attempt to build such a program, so the
current version is the result of some
experience I made befor. Using powerful toolkits (Python, Qt, Hoops,
OpenCascade) I really hope to build
something usable, even for professional use. Detailed plans for future
functionality do not exists. This is user driven.
Send me your suggestions, and they have chances to get implemented. One sure
thing is 3D. It will be
inspired by the way Pro/Desktop works. This includes 2D scetches as 3D
profile definitions and feature based modelling.

I have looked at various CAD systems. This includes ME10, AutoCAD13,
AutoCAD2002, QCad, Varicon, and Pro/Desktop.
I'm trying to integrate what I like about a particular system, and try to
avoid what I dislike.

Although I had talks to a engineer working for many years with a CAD system
(ME10), it would be most helpfull
to get more input from a broader user range. So if you have any ideas or
suggestions, do not hesitate to post them.
Of course it would be most helpful if other developers could help. TomCAD is
highly modular, so everyone is invited
to contribute extension modules ( once I can provide a working version ).
Help is also needed in the documentation area.

The Hoops library is responsible for the rendering process. This means to
bring the internal data to the screen.
The Hoops library is a commercial product, but the vendor has released a
free-of-change version for Linux.
The vendor wants to have money if somebody makes money by using Hoops. That
was the reason for my
additional statement to the GPL. If the current TomCAD licencing is somehow
not appropriate, I'll change
the licencing, not the library. TomCAD will continue using Hoops. Please
note that TomCAD will stay
free in accordance to the GPL, even if its licence will change.