[cad-linux] Re: Open-source Parametric software for Architects

  • From: Robert Davis <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:52:09 -0600

Fellow Architects:

2D production CAD = profitability
No production CAD on linux = bondage to M$
IntelliCAD on wine = not ready for prime time
VariCAD, QCAD, LinuxCAD, Cycas, etc. = nice try, no cigar (for architecture)
Bentley halting Microstation on Linux = organized crime

IMO (today), spatial visualization is best accomplished with SketchUp or
a sign pen on trace. I do not want to be an electronic contractor who
builds entire structures with electrons. Conceptual and schematic design
are just what the terms imply. While doing a charette to an impossible
deadline, the last thing I want to do is run a "report" on the
parametric data base to generate a floor plan or section. My partner & I
were trained on Tri-Forma at the firm we came from, they now have 6 idle
licenses, a serious investment down the drain. We now share space with a
firm that has 7 licenses of ADT sitting idle. Sure, they think that once
they get it figured out, life will be wonderful. In their present state,
these tools don't cut it.

I think that if you really want to help our profession and your bottom
line, jump in with Phrostie & me and let's get IntelliCAD running on
linux and convince @Last Software (SketchUp) to port from mac OS-X to linux.

Rob Davis, AIA
Principal
InsideOut Design
Denver, CO

Let it fly, I've got the Kelvar & Nomex on!