[cad-linux] Re: Open-source Parametric software for Architect s

  • From: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:28:07 +0000

While free is enticing - I think the main attraction for me is that I could
influence it's direction.  In fact - I could add features myself if I really
want them

Although some CAD packages provide a full-featured add-on system, there are
still
limitations to what you can do (some limitations are also from the OS - ie
printing
accounting)

lee.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote*:

>A recent survey of Linux/Open Source 2D CAD programs found a junkyard of
>projects
abandoned at various stages of incompletion, a couple that remain active, and a
couple hopelessly entangled in licensing issues.  CAD is a difficult niche.

>I'm not aware of any Open Source parametric CAD project (2D, 3D, Mechanical,
Architectural, or otherwise) showing tangible results, or progress.  There are
some
commercial Linux programs, however, as I'm sure this group already knows.

>Here's the tough question: If there were a state of the art CAD program that
>was
free, would you really be that much better off in you profession? Flame if you
must,
but it's a question worth considering.