[cad-linux] Re: Open-source Parametric software for Architect [OT]

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:58:14 -0700

> I believe there is room for both OpenSource and commercial=20
> software. The=20
> solution to the perpetual upgrade issue is to have independent data=20
> transfer standards.

I completely agree. I hope IFC really takes off for this reason alone; =
then it wouldn't matter what software I use to generate information.
=20
> 2.   I have been experimenting with alternative office suites=20
> and for the=20
> low level requirements of the majority of my staff there are=20
> low cost or=20
> free options available on Windows and Linux OS's that mean=20
> that MS Office=20
> is dead in our organisation except that we may maintain one=20
> licence for=20
> file conversion purposes.

I've been using Open Office at home for a while now, and I really like =
it. Yes, it's lacking some of the features that I was using with word, =
like mail merging and mailing label making (I manage a local events =
newsletter for what could be called for lack of a better term an =
'adventure's club'). Whatever. It's free, and it does almost everything =
I need, and when I switch to Linux or Mac OS X in the future I'll still =
be able to use it. It's win-win for me.

However, if I do switch completely to Linux, then I'll probably buy the =
Ximian desktop software. This way I'll have their full support in making =
my palm pilot talk to their PIM software, evolution, that I rather like. =
Plus I'll get other goodies too, like the ability to connect to my =
office's existing exchange server, so it will be worth the money.

> 4.  If ever there were reasons to move away from MS operating=20
> systems it is=20
> the lack of stability & lack of security. It is the operating=20
> system that=20
> produces the most problems with the regular and incompatible=20
> upgrades,=20
> predatory use of the operating system to disadvantage both users and=20
> competitors and this is where an OpenSource operating system=20
> produces the=20
> greatest benefits.

Additionally, IMHO, the last several releases of Windows have been %50 =
developed to make my life better, and %50 for Microsoft's benefit in =
positioning themselves in the market. I mean, OK, Windows 2000 is easier =
to use than NT was. It's easier to manage as well. But about half of =
it's features, like integrating the explorer browser, direct X, windows =
media player, and automatic updating don't have anything to do with =
making my work easier or faster. And with Windows XP and future windows =
OS's, things like the purposeful downgrading of MP3 encoding so you'll =
use the windows music format, DRM, licensing servers, and such don't do =
anything to help me. What if, on a Sunday, my CD-ROM burner dies, and =
I'm using windows XP, and I replace that drive and it triggers the =
Windows XP licensing server so that I have to contact Microsoft to get a =
new key. Can I do that on a Sunday night when I have to have this =
working my Monday morning? What about in five years, when XP is no =
longer the current OS and is no longer supported by Microsoft? How is =
this helping me? how is this worth money?
=20
> So, I have had the dubious pleasure of swearing at Microsoft=20
> for hours as I=20
> try to rebuild the system and reload the software I need to function.=20
> Getting the right drivers on for the hardware takes quite a=20
> while as Win 2K=20
> doesn't correctly identify the hardware. As you can see I=20
> have my email=20
> working but there are still hours to go. Gimp won't load due to some=20
> component missing (though I started from the beginning) and=20
> many other=20
> programs are yet to be reinstalled.

After rebuilding one of my Windows 2000 computers twice to try to get it =
working, then having the other BRAND NEW top-of-the-line windows 2000 =
system at home start to have troubles I decided to be completely off =
Microsoft by the end of the year. I'm going to buy a Mac, because I =
still want to use Photoshop and watch movies and crap for my home =
system; but I want to be able to use Unix tools too. Maybe I'll switch =
the high-end machine to a complete Linux box (rather than it's current =
dual-boot) for rendering and such, or I'll sell it. If I can get a =
working CAD system on it, then I'll use it for my fledgling business. =
But I've had it with the Microsoft stuff.

I want to be an Architect that just happens to use computers; Not a =
computer/3D/CAD expert-operator that also happens to be an Architect.
=20
> When I loaded Suse 8.0 onto my test notebook it was less=20
> trouble to install=20
> than Win 2K has been so far. I have to say that MS is losing=20
> the battle for=20
> ease of installation. What a shame :)

When installing Mandrake on a old laptop that my brother-in-law gave me, =
it went so smooth and easy that I was sold. I really liked how open it =
was about everything, telling me every step of the way what it was doing =
and why, and allowing me to tweak everything in any way I wanted. Rather =
than treating me like I've done something wrong by wanting to know =
what's going on with MY computer.

> Our guest from Autodesk should take note. As a user I detest forced=20
> upgrades, I detest buggy software (but LT has been quite good=20
> to me), I=20
> want freedom of choice. Linux appears to give me that to a=20
> far greater degree.

My Palm pilot has crashed twice in the year that I've owned it, and it's =
never lost a thing. It's never had a problem. It's an APPLIANCE, and it =
just does it's job. That's what I want from technology.
=20
> Of course, if someone produced an OSS Cad program with the=20
> capabilities of=20
> LT 97 & file compatibility, and wanted to charge me a=20
> reasonable fee for=20
> the use of it that would be OK too. The OSS guys still need=20
> to be paid.

I have no problem paying for software; I do have a problem when I feel =
like the same company I'm giving my money to is taking advantage of me. =
I do have a problem when they refuse to have open standards so that =
other's may use there formats (AutoDesk and DWG) or refuse to adhere to =
well-published standards so that everything works like it should =
(Microsoft and FrontPage, Java, ect).=20

> So, for me, OpenSource operating systems, Open data standards=20
> and then let=20
> the software guys do what ever they like. If the OSS guys do=20
> a good job=20
> (Apache!) then that is great, but if they don't (CAD) then we=20
> may need to=20
> pay for what we need.

Agreed!

Jeffrey McGrew=20