[cad-linux] Re: Open-source Parametric software for Architect [OT]

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:40:51 -0700

> I believe most on this list are from the US or maybe Europe.=20
> Occassionally a
> few from these places too grumble about the licensing &=20
> pricing of these
> software. I am from India. Here, the monthly salary of a recent
> architectural graduate ranges between Indian Rs. 3000/- to=20
> Rs. 5000/- (1US$
> ~ 50 Indian Rs.) AutoCad2000 bundled with 3DS Viz was priced about Rs.
> 1,25,000/- It is *impossible* for me to even buy a single=20
> machine license,
> even if I save my entire salary  !!! That's one reason why piracy is
> rampant. The situation is not very different in many other=20
> Asian countries.
> Just managed to get the pricing of Acad in India these days=20
> for educational
> institutions, at a 'discounted' rate.

I completely agree with this. As much as I love what some of these =
software packages can do, I'm never going to be able to afford them when =
I start my own firm some years down the road. What, I'm supposed to go =
into debt, and make an 'investment' on an empty box with a CD rattling =
around inside who's contents I've got no right over except for a limited =
use that can change at any time? That's what I'm supposed to spend =
thousands of dollars (that I don't have, because I'm just starting out) =
on?

Additionally, with groups like the BSA here in America shaking down =
companies over computer piracy, the software licenses can even become a =
liability. If you haven't fully documented every copy of software in the =
company, if you don't have every bill of sale, receipt, license, =
date-of-purchase, and date of installation well organized you can get =
into hot water very very quickly. The BSA wants a lot more than just the =
box and the CD as proof that you legally own the software. It's a sticky =
issue, and frightening too.

Finally, the tools I use when starting out have a good chance at =
becoming the tools that I'll use for a long time. As my firm grows, I'll =
have more money, and will be able to buy more stuff to help my business. =
If I can use a piece of software for cheap and/or free, or use it for =
free but pay for support (ala Mandrake, Red Hat, et all), then I can use =
it when starting out, and heck, if it works well, when I have more money =
I'll buy bigger and better versions and support deals from those =
companies. I can't start at thousands and then pay hundreds for upgrades =
to not loose my 'investment' in the software. I'll go out of business.

Jeffrey