[cad-linux] Re: Open CASCADE Version 4.0

  • From: Maurizio Ferrari <mferrari@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:06:24 +0100

keith frost wrote:

> ok, let see if this comes thru a little more readable.
>
> Open CASCADE Version 4.0 Now Available for Free
> Downloading
>
> The latest version of Open CASCADE includes advanced
> data exchange capabilities such as shape healing and
> extended data exchange, improved modeling algorithms
> and a development environment that can be used for
> working
> with applications that are non-Open CASCADE dependent.
>
> Open CASCADE Certified Version 4.0 incorporates many
> enhancements from both Open CASCADE developers and
> outside contributors; including corrections stemming
> from customer projects. It runs under Windows 2000 and
> Linux
> Intel 2.4, as well as under Windows NT/9x, SGI IRIX
> 6.4 and Sun Solaris 2.6.
>
> The new version is simpler to install since code,
> binaries, samples and documentation can be downloaded
> either
> separately, as needed, or all at once. The software
> components can easily be compiled on a wide variety of
> platforms
> using standard open-source utilities (Automake,
> Autoconf), opening the door to a greater number of
> potential
> contributors.
>
> Click now to download
>
> Read the complete press release

A few info that I hope might be interesting:

1. AFAIK there is only one compleate 3D CADapplication  based on
OpenCascade for Linux, htto://www.collabcad.com , and it looks like the
latest beta ( beta 1.0 was not working for me) 1.5 is currently out for
Windows only.

2. I have heard Varicad 8.0 for Linux should be out early in December,
with (finally) IGES import and rewritten kernel (yeah - circles will be
circles!)

3. Realsoft3D for Linux runs pretty well and I am using to generate nice
pictures from IGES files either from Catia or Varicad. Take a look to
http://www.slot.it  -- the two images on the left and right are made by
importing VariCAD IGES with Realsoft3D.

Hope this is of some help.

Maurizio

--
Galileo Engineering
Via Zacchetti 6

Slot.it is a trademark of Galileo Engineering