[cad-linux] Re: [OT] Re: Open-source Parametric software for Architects

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:07:12 -0700

> It is a disturbing trend in OSS to try and ape the successful closed
> source projects.  I understand that in order for normal people to
> consider switching, they need to feel comfortable, but it's=20
> hard to make
> progress that way.
> Now, for me, it's been a while since I have been actively drafting on
> billable time.  This has been a great discussion, although I've only
> been on the list for a day or so.  Can we list more directly=20
> just how a
> CAAD program would support the architectural design process.  Your
> statement above is a great start, but there must be more.  It must be
> more than changing the width in the door schedule and having the door
> change (although I admit that is very cool).

Well, I mention Revit just because it's closest to what I have in mind. =
But my main goal in all of this is to create a AEC package that can be =
altered, added to, and refined by *Architects* and not be a 'lite' =
version of something else, like VIZ, or a general-use tool that needs =
lots of customization to be effective, like AutoCAD.

I would like to have this discussion, but I don't feel that this e-mail =
list is the right place. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet that all of =
you non-architects out there would get bored of such a thing, and since =
we're not talking about and existing CAD package, I feel that it would =
be a little off topic. I mean, I would like to invite many many people =
into this discussion, I doubt that clogging up this list with that is a =
good idea.

I'll see what I can do to get a separate list up and running for this =
project.

Thanks!

Jeffrey McGrew