[cad-linux] Re: Newbie questions....

  • From: Gerhard Reithofer <gerhardr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:32:31 +0200

Hi Brian,

Brian Johnson wrote:

> That was written to help me out and I wrote a script to process a directory
> (with subdirs)
>
> It may not be what the user is looking for since it simply extracts the
> preview bitmap from the dwg
>
> Therefore, the image is small and not very detailed (hey, it's a preview)
>
> Some of the things the user is trying to do are available with batch
> programs directly from Autocad (doesn't Acad come with a batch program?) ...
> or is that the point (user doesn't have Acad)
>
> Does the process have to be automated?  To what extent?  What OS (I assume
> Linux, but is a Windows box available too)?  Will each file be in any one of
> the three formats or can they all be dwg (or dxf)?  Is a pdfwriter available
> (ie already setup)?
>
> Need more info.

There will be many solutions.

An automatimsm which writes an AutoCAD slide file at any file save. The
format is well documented and supported by many applications. With a
little
programming knowledge for few-liner may do the job.

E. g. the wideley used PBM tools by Jef Poskanzer can be used to create
a screen size bitmap file (e.g. to GIF forma), which can be viewed in
almost any browser.

But, as I said, ther will be many other solutions.

Bye,
 Gerhard Reithofer - Techn. EDV Reithofer - Technical software solutions
 mailto:gerhardr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                http://www.tech-edv.co.at
 Peierlhang 31b, A-8042 Graz, Austria    Phone/Fax number +43-316/405707