[cad-linux] Re: Newbie question: Any linux cad people out there ? What happened to Varkon ?

  • From: Ray Henry <rehenry@xxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:28:36 -0600

On Saturday 11 January 2003 12:29 am, Kim wrote among other things:
> Comments below.
<s>
> The next thing to do is to integrate the CAD package into a CAM package
> for use with CNC stuff.

Hi Kim

Yes it would be nice to have the CAM (Computer Aided/Assisted Machining)
side of CAD/CAM look and act like the CAD side but IMHO there are
negitives at this stage of development.

The first is that many drawings don't end up as g-code for a mill, lathe,
or router.  A good Linux CAD package needs to be applicable to a wide
variety of professionals so that we build up the momentum to move the
open source project forward.  A CAM package aims at a very narrow target
audience -- you and I for two.

Some folk almost skip the CAM part by creating a polyline out of the
drawing for each tool and send that to a LISP script.  Others purchase
very expensive systems and then only use the CAM side to create the
machine code.  Seems to me that a good stand alone CAM package could be
written that would input a set of standard file types and allow the
operator to order them, create the roughing cuts and connecting paths,
and add in tool and speed and feed data for the specific breed of machine
that is going to do the cutting.

Ray Henry
Michigan's U.P.