[cad-linux] Re: Newbie - RH8.0 - Gnome - Modem will not responid

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:09:01 -0800 (PST)

one of the first things you need to check with modem problems is the
permissions.  are you running your dialer as a normal user or as root?
if it responds (as root) then you may want to look into changing permissions of
/dev/tty4 or setting up sudo.

--- John Wolf <wolf_j@> wrote:

> Sorry to post here. but l.r.ppp won't accept, I have enough problems
> without trying to figure that out, can anyone tell me why I can't post
> there or help with the following:
>
> I have RH8.0 installed and reinstalled on a dual boot with Win98, this
> message is from Win98 because RH8.0 will not dial out or do anything
> with the modem.  It is a hardware PCI  USR modem which Linux seems to
> see on ttys4 = com5 which is what it runs on in windoze.  I have
> configured ISP, etc. and it is connected, but nothing dials out.
>
> Any clues?

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://mailplus.yahoo.com